As business owners, mental health awareness is an important topic to discuss since we have to be mentally fit to lead our teams and grow our businesses. There have been studies, though, of how social media may be linked to an increase in mental health issues like depression or anxiety.
Let’s accept it, social media is already part of our lives and it’s here to stay. Facebook. Twitter. Instagram. Tik Tok. These are just some of the social media platforms we use every day. Are you using social media to grow your business or are you letting social media affect your life, mental state, business, and social life too much?
In this episode, we use a TEDx Talk by award-winning digital marketer, public speaker and business owner Bailey Parnell as a jump-off point for a discussion on social media and how it affects our physical, social, and mental health both as social media users and business owners. Specifically, we examine the four stressors on social media—the highlight reel, social currency, FOMO (fear of missing out), and online harassment.
What To Listen For:
- Social media affects our physical and mental health (3:18)
- Living two lives: real and online lives (4:14)
- Social media is not the cause of the anxiety, it’s how we interact with it (5:44)
- Four stressors on social media (9:46)
- The highlight reel: pros and cons (10:03)
- Social currency: likes and comments (15:10)
- FOMO: tagging (22:49)
- Online harassment: personal case studies (30:29)
- Balancing personal and business social media use (39:08)
- Some final thoughts to share (45:53)
Get My Lunch Money
Jennifer: Hungry Harvest – fruits and vegetables that don’t pass supermarket standards but are still good and edible delivered to your home (48:38) [check link]
Is Social Media Hurting Your Mental Health? by Bailey Parnell
Check-In With The Geeks
Catch us live each week on Monday 8pm EDT / Tuesday 10am AEST at the Business Geeks Podcast page on Facebook.
Submit your question to the geeks at email@example.com to have your question answered live on the show. Be sure to include your business name for a free shoutout.
Find Samantha at SamanthaRiley.global
Find Jennifer at Sparent.co
Find Joe at SuperJoePardo.com