The “Imposter Syndrome” was first defined by Dr. Pauline Clance and Dr. Suzanne Imes as “internal experience of intellectual phoniness which appears to be particularly prevalent and intense among a select sample of high achieving women.”
Everybody feels it. Even professionals who are experts in their fields get imposter syndrome. It can be an advantage or a disadvantage for you and your business depending on how you deal with it.
In today’s episode, we discuss this very personal but important topic. We share our moments of battling imposter syndrome and tips on how to overcome barriers we put on ourselves so we can move on from moments of self-sabotage.
What To Listen For:
- Experts feel like they’re newbies but all business owners learn something new every day (1:22)
- Imposter syndrome’s history and definition (2:15)
- The Dunning Kruger effect (3:03)
- TED Talk by Mike Cannon-Brookes, who talked about imposter syndrome (3:46)
- Imposter syndrome could be an advantage (5:11)
- Signs of imposter syndrome that could be detrimental to your business (9:15)
- The imposter syndrome could be exacerbated by following “successful” people on social media (12:39)
- Not wanting to share stories on social media could be a classic case of imposter syndrome (13:42)
- You can’t control people’s mindset (14:46)
- As a business owner, you need to make decisions, whether they’re the good or bad decisions (16:09)
- It’s okay to be out of your depth (18:23)
- Some tips to conquer imposter syndrome (21:00)
- Learn more than the average person but practice self-introspection and apply your knowledge (27:49)
One Cool Thing
Jennifer: Voxer, a communication tool for remote teams (35:45)
Imposter Syndrome by Dr. Pauline Clance and Dr. Suzanne Imes
Check-In With The Geeks
Catch us live each week on Monday 8pm EDT / Tuesday 10am AEST at the Business Geeks Podcast page on Facebook.
Submit your question to the geeks at firstname.lastname@example.org to have your question answered live on the show. Be sure to include your business name for a free shoutout.
Find Samantha at SamanthaRiley.global
Find Jennifer at Sparent.co
Find Joe at SuperJoePardo.com